The Italian Private Equity, Venture Capital and Private Debt Association (AIFI) was founded in May 1986 in order to promote, develop and institutionally represent private equity and venture capital activity in Italy.
AIFI’s objectives are to:
- support and facilitate the development of private equity, venture capital and private debt activity in Italy and abroad;
- work with government entities to improve the legal environment of the private equity, venture capital and private debt investment activity;
- increase awareness and understanding of the private equity, venture capital and private debt industry in Italy;
- coordinate the creation of qualified managerial groups both in associated companies and the connected firms;
- collect and present information about the industry;
- act as an interface and link to Italian and international financial players;
- create a network between research centres and venture capitalists, in order to promote successful entrepreneurial ideas;
- maintain ethical and professional standards in the private equity, venture capital and private debt industry.
AIFI is a non-profit organisation which counted 107 full members and 125 associate members at present.
Full membership is open to private equity players and venture capitalists whose main task is to take equity participations in enterprises and also to private debt players. The full members matrix is quite heterogeneous - including Italian banks and their subsidiaries, private investment companies, Italian closed-end funds, international closed-end funds as well as public players.
Associate membership applies to organisations providing services to the private equity industry such as accountancy firms, law firms, banks, consultancy groups, institutions as well as Italian and foreign associations.